If it’s a recipe by me FOR me, it involves peanut butter. If it doesn’t involve peanut butter, I didn’t make it the way I would truly want it. 😉
These cinnamon buns can easily be modified to be vegan. They’re not too sweet, though you could easily add more sugar; and they’re slightly pretzelly because of some extra salt, but all in all the peanut butter/date combo could never be overdone in my opinion😍
The donut version of my cinnamon buns
Peanut Butter Date Cinnamon Buns
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup milk of choice
2 tsps yeast
1 1/2 cups flour
1 T sugar
1/2 T salt
2 T peanut butter plus 1/4 cup peanut butter
8-10 saver dates, chopped
2 tsps cinnamon
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1. In small dish, mix hot water, milk, and yeast and 1 Tbsp sugar until frothy. Leave for 10 minutes to dissolve.
2. In medium bowl, rub together the flour, salt, and 2 Tbsp peanut butter. Mix in egg, and the yeast mixture, stirring until a dough comes together.
3. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough about 10 minutes. Place back in bowl, cover with cling wrap, and let rise about 45 minutes.
4. Roll dough out into a large rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup peanut butter.
5. In small dish, mix together dates, cinnamon, and sugar. Spread evenly over the dough.
6. Starting at the long end, roll up the dough, tightly sealing the tapered ends with fingers. Cut into 8-10 even spirals. Cover spirals on baking sheet with cling wrap and leave to rise again for 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes, or until just golden brown.
8. In small dish, mix water, icing sugar, and vanilla. Drizzle over warm buns and serve warm!