TASTEFUL THURSDAY: Dairy-Free Mac & Cheese
This past weekend, we had a little GNO for one of my dear friends from dance, to celebrate her 21st birthday. For the occasion, I whipped up a dairy-free mac and cheese, only hoping it would come out tasting good… and it DID, so much so that it’s making the blog’s cut!
I used these fun shell shapes instead of typical elbow noodles, and Daiya Mozzarella Shreds. A little disclaimer is that I am certainly not a fan of Daiya cheese– I wish I could say otherwise! I just don’t like the taste. But, in this pasta, with the cashews, it was perfect. Of course, you could sub regular cheese!
Vegan Mac & Cheese
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp grapeseed oil
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup Daiya Mozzarella Shreds, plus more for topping
6 servings (about 4 1/2 cups dry) shell or elbow noodles
- In blender, combine almond milk, cashews, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and blend on high speed until no lumps of cashews remain.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine oil and flour. Whisk quickly, until mixture *just* begins to brown; slowly pour almond milk mixture into roux.
- Whisk mixture constantly over high heat, until it begins to boil. Boil and stir about 30 seconds; reduce heat to low. Add cheese, and stir well. Allow to simmer, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
- Cook pasta according to package; drain. Add pasta to saucepan, and stir well with a wooden spoon to evenly coat noodles with cheese sauce.
- Spoon into individual dishes and top with additional shredded cheese. Broil dishes about 1 minute, or until added cheese is bubbly, if desired.