A couple evenings ago, I made dinner for Johnny and I. It was a simple meal of crispy chicken thighs, steamed broccoli, and mashed potatoes for him but rice for me, as I can’t eat dairy.
I wanted to make the potatoes a la Cassie, but they ended up too soft and liquidy. Johnny still approved them, so the recipe you are getting is a scaled down version to ensure they’re the thicker, but still fluffy, soft, and buttery texture you want.
If you make these, let me know!
Velvety Mashed Potatoes
Recipe serves 1
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1 clove garlic, diced
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat in medium skillet; add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 3-5 minutes, or until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add potato chunks to the pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan just partly, so the sides still release some steam.
- Simmer until the potato chunks are soft and easily pricked with a fork, about 30-40 minutes.
- Place contents of saucepan in blender or food processor; add cream. Process until smooth, and no chunks remain. Season if needed, to taste.
- Serve hot with melted butter and garnished with chives.